Saturday, July 23, 2011

Me? A factoid... bahhh, no, I .... O.K., probably...

            I was first introduced to the factoid without realizing it. I could give you the dictionary definition of a factoid, but that would ruin my version. I am going to use the term loosely. To me and my family it is a statement that has been told as if it is a fact. The reason for that is more often than not because the person telling it, actually believes it. This is either because it fits nicely into their argument and somewhere in their head it makes the most sense (which usually turns out to be true, right?). Other times I think two facts get switched with the wrong subjects, or something like that. I think you get the idea. It's very easy to convince someone of something, if you're not trying to convince them because you actually believe it.
           I try to keep my factoids to a minimum. If I notice one, I try to slurp it back in, or make a joke of it. Unless of course I'm with my family, then I like to see if I can pass it off.
           Now, I have done it. I was teaching a person. Teaching. Then a giant, whopping FACTOID just oozed out of my mouth like melted butter. Really I was smooth. in about a half of a second, I realized what it was. I think my eyes must have gotten about 3 sizes larger! I was thinking, CRAP what do I do?! Keep going? Hope she doesn't notice or remember for that matter. However, what if she asks me a question about it. And that, my friends, is exactly what she did... before I even got to totally freeze in my own embarrassment. 
          Honestly, right now, I have no idea what it was about. But, I ended up telling her that I might have just told her a factoid. Then I had to try to explain a 'factoid'.  Luckily, I am very good at explaining things I do know. I was even able to make her laugh.

This story is dedicated to my father who started me on my factoid journey. And yes Dad, you do resemble that remark. (Like father like daughter.... oh and other daughter... oh and mother too.)

kimbersfrog

2 comments:

  1. so you think all my facts are factoids...hmm..I suppose that is possible....but they seem so true!

    Da Coooach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not ALL your facts... just some....should I start listing? heh,heh

    ReplyDelete