Thursday, July 21, 2011

I am cheap. It's true.

             It's true. I'm cheap. I don't have much of a choice about it, but I would probably be cheap anyway. I do prefer however to call it something else. I like to call it, "having priorities". This is also true.
            Some things are just not worth spending money on at all. For each of us those things might be different. Then there are the things that are not worth spending much on. For me, these are kind of fun. I always end up in strange dollar stores or second hand shops. There are options for a million things I would like but never get. I find what I'm looking for and get the cheapest one possible that looks like it will do the job.
            A good example would be a lamp. I don't need anything fancy. If it works and it's cheap, sold. In the supermarket it comes down to the same thing, I don't need the name brand, I need the cheap brand, most of the time. And by the way, I have found that most supermarket brand toilet paper are usually more comfortable. And you tend to get more for your money than the name brands- just sayin'.
           The one thing I continually cave on is fresh food. When I want vegetables or fruits, I want them to be good. I don't go organic all the time, but even so I never buy frozen veggies or fruits because I know the taste is just not worth my time or money. I might as well eat chalk.
           Now I've learned a little more about the organic thing. All I previously knew about it was that it had no chemicals, chemicals are bad. Pretty simple and obvious. But I figured, what could be worse than all the car fumes and everything else I breathe in all day. Plus, I thought some of the natural ingredients in these very foods, help to battle the problems that our environment creates for us.
           Actually, no. The problem with the chemicals, is they not only rids us of pests. And they help the fruits and vegetables last longer, which is unnecessarily convenient. They unfortunately also rob the soil of important vitamins and (dare I say the favorite word of the American public these days), nutrients. This means that the next crop and the next and so on will have less and less to give us. Which means we have to eat more and more of each individual fruit or vegetable to get the same vitamins and nutrients that we would've gotten from just one, before the chemicals.
           At first this angered me. Then I realized, who cares if we had been lied to all this time, really what haven't we been lied to about before? The truth is, I don't eat these things for my health, I just like fruit and vegetables. However I do find the health benifits a big bonus! So now, my cheap side, is madly thinking. Organic vs. Chemical. Hmm.
           Finally, I found a way to make it work with my "priorities"! In the long run, I will spend less on health care, because I will be eating foods that actually protect my body.

          I do not pretend that this theory is COMPLETELY sound. I however choose to believe it as if it were gospel. And since I have no reason not to believe it, well, why the hell not? Now I'm going to make fresh spinach, tomato, basil, olive oil, garlic, and mozzarella salad!!! Ohhhh yeah. All fresh, all the time!

        Mock me if you must. I would.

kimbersfrog

No comments:

Post a Comment