Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Festival of the Pirates!!!!!!

     

So here I am in Spain. I moved here to be with the love of my life.... yeah, if you knew the whole story, you would either say,  'awwwwwwwwwww, that is the most romantic thing I've ever heard.'   OR,  'you're bleepin' crazy.' We're in love so we're doing this thing, but THAT is not what this story is about.... maybe some other time. 
Now, unfortunately given the horrible economic times my boyfriend had to keep his job up north for the summer. The ONLY good part of that is I might just learn Spanish faster. Again, I've gone off topic....I apologize.
The town I live in is just north of Barcelona, it's called Premiá de Mar. It's a sweet town, quiet and we have a small apartment that we can call home. I had been told that there was a festival about pirates in July. Okay, cool, can't wait. It sounded neat, people dressing up, live music on the beach, some fireworks.... nice. Last night, I heard them sound checking on the stage that must have gone up in a nano-second.... because it definitely was NOT there in the morning.
Well, today... I kind of forgot really, I was nervous about stuff I had to do, just in my own head really. Trying to think in Spanish...quite impressively (heh, well not really but I keep trying to convince myself that I was thinking in perfect Castillan). Finally, I was almost out the door, on my way to an appointment, when I here my boyfriend's nieces at the door asking if they could have some water. We did some awkward communicating and joking... that's a bonus... joking didn't happen in the beginning because of my nervousness with the language barrier. And then it hit me... all the people outside... the pirates!!!! 
In Premiá, in July every year there is a celebration. It roughly translates to The festival of the Pirates. Some people dress as pirates some don't. (that part I was told about) So again I thought, cool, on my way back the first night (for it's about a week or so long) of the festival I'll try to find the family and enjoy some of this festival.......well
There was something they neglected to mention. No, there was something EVERYONE I talked to forgot to mention. Apparently, about 50% of the people adults teens and children, have GIANT water guns... and because there are working water fountains every block or so... those guns are constantly full!!!!!
Don't mistake me.... this is something I am all for.... but there I am coming off the train completely unaware... and BAMMMMMMM!!!!!!! completely soaked.....I must say... it was... well... BLEEPPIN' funny!
I wish however I had been warned, I would've gone and gotten a water gun myself... and maybe brought a change of clothes and a better bag.
I wish celebrations were like this all the time... people happy, calm, and goofy.
I am not trying to take away from the actual meaning behind the celebration, mind you. I am a foreigner, so obviously the first thing I take in is what I see and feel, which is the joy, warmth, community, solidarity, and just people enjoying having fun!

That is it for tonight....
Kimbersfrog
If you want to find out more about the history of the festival: www.premiapirata.org or www.lencert.es.

No comments:

Post a Comment