Saturday, April 5, 2014

Be and/or Do what moves you... but .....






          I have a strong belief in the idea that you should do or be anything you want in life. I have, however, found over the years, there may be a few exceptions. Not that you can't be said thing (cook, artist, dentist, scientist, barista, etc.), but there are 2 important things that you probably should consider first. Please.
          1) If you refuse to learn how to do the things you need to do to fulfil this dream (hobby, way of life, or whatever), then maybe it's time to try something else. It's possible that you aren't that into it.
          2) If your ineptitude affects others in a constant and unfortunate way- that might be a clue that it's time to find another interest or go it alone. I mean really, you must have more than one dream right?
          Now that I've given you my long, unsolicited disclaimer, I will begin the story (of sorts). Mind you, I am picking a job that I know a good deal about to be sure that I can make my point by being accurate, honest and just. It is possible you will encounter a wee bit of attitude whilst reading... deal with it.
          Framing. Picture framing to be exact. It is a skill to be sure.  Many of the skills can be learned reasonably easily. If you are willing. Don't forget the customer service aspect. Customer service is an equally important part of the job. So, it is important to like people (or at the very least fake it with spirit and a smile!). And while it is not necessary to be an artist, it would be helpful to have a little sense of colour and design. Creativity is a bonus but sadly cannot be taught.
          Never in a million years would I tell anyone that they should have to know anything or everything about framing before you start. But if you really want to do it, please... no I'm begging you.... PLEASE, learn. Learn as much as you can. Ask questions. If you are new to it or aren't naturally good at it and refuse to learn or ask how to do things, you will negatively affect your boss, co-workers, the business, and your customers. Not fair.
          I've jotted down a few things to keep in mind if you are interested in framing (and I'm sure these could be translated to other fields) but aren't sure if it's the thing for you....

            1) If you can't use a ruler and/or count in fractions, you may want to seriously reconsider.
            2) If you can't do simple maths, you might want to think again. (Think again, I was just being polite)
            3) If you only enjoy being the boss and yet you are working FOR someone... well, all I can say is suck it up or get out!
            4) If you can't make a good frame and won't take advice from people who can... why are you still thinking that this is your dream? Pride isn't always a good thing.
            5) If you don't innately understand that tools and machinery need upkeep.... you might just want to walk away before you cost someone or yourself a whole lot of money. (You know... in replacements.)
            6) If you can only make relatively good choices in the design part of framing about 50% of the time.... take a class or just stop wasting your time.
            7) If you are too weak or in too much pain to do the actual job AND refuse to push through it,  then this might not be as important to you as you once thought.

          I think that covers it. More or less. And you should know that I am not blowing hot air here. Bear in mind that I too, have had (and probably will in the future) dreams and goals that weren't for me. Yes, it is true that for many years, I had a dream to one day be able to come home from work and strum the guitar whilst singing. (scary but true!) I played for two years (if you want to call it playing). I tried surprisingly but assuredly exceptionally hard BUT I got steadily worse. Finally I admitted to myself that even if  I did have the capability within myself (which I am not at all sure I did or do), I was not inclined to continue torturing myself. And I probably shouldn't torture my neighbours either.
          I have also had a slow burning fire within to become a neurosurgeon. You can. Stop. Laughing now. Ever since I found that I had epilepsy, this has been something I have yearned to do. The brain is fascinating. Every new thing I learn about it continues to astound me. But given my predisposition to loose control of my muscles (small or large scale), I think it would be irresponsible to operate on anyone's brain. So I just make it one of my hobbies to learn as much as I can about it.
          And those are just two. However I have realized some of my dreams. And I hope to accomplish more. Some I might find aren't within my capacity. Some I might find that I liked the idea more than the actual thing itself. And others I will succeed- even if it's through pure determination and stubbornness. So as you can see, I am not simply expostulating for the sake of it.
          I believe the most important things are: know yourself, dream big, try hard, and don't be too proud to realize you need to move on to something else you've always wanted to do!

 kimbersfrog



No comments:

Post a Comment