Friday, December 23, 2011

Es lo que hay....


          Loosely translated: "It is what it is." I've learned many Spanish words since I have been here (and forgotten many). I have learned a lot of grammar (not that it is always evident in my speech, but no one's perfect). I have also learned quite a few expressions.
          Idioms are fun. They are interesting. I even get a little excited when I learn them (yes I know I'm a dork). I try to think of different situations I could use them in. Then I hope that a circumstance will properly present itself in which I can throw my freshly learned rhetoric into the conversation virtually unnoticed
          Ohhhh yes, if I do it right, no one will even notice. On the other hand, if I do it wrong, I could insult people. No, since it's me we're talking about here, I could probably inadvertently shame, abuse, snub, taunt, or proposition someone. Or even a group. Yeah, that's what she said! 
          The thing about colloquialisms is if you have the connotation just a hair off it can make a world of difference. Think about it. Let's say you just throw, "we're all in the same boat" into a conversation without a full grasp of its meaning. If you really were in the same general circumstances, then you just got lucky. Everyone is happy (well, no one's upset with you). But what if you had no hurdles to bear (you're "sittin' pretty" as it were), whilst everyone else you were talking to did? Maybe you understood the basic idea of the phrase, but thought it was more of a thing to say to empathize and let people know you were there for them. Your meaning is still good natured. However you would come off as an ass.
          This I worry about. Regularly.
          Lucky for me, along with my fear and moments of freezing (becoming mute suddenly- it's lovely, really), also comes that wonderful ability to embarrass myself with reckless abandon! This can actually help me. I'll say it again, lucky me! The muscles from my face down to my toes work with and against each other with a force I could never muster on purpose (I am sure it's attractive, not!). My body has the ability to express what is lacking in my Spanberish (heh,heh).
          So in addition to learning vocabulary, verb tenses, and grammar (which my brain insists on twisting like tape balls), I am learning little phrases here and there. The type that people use on a regular basis. The same way we use, "Of course," or "Seriously?" or "Gimme a break!" and so on. There are some things we say that are also said here. Love that!!! But there are other things that are so much a part of my suitcase full of expressions I don't know exactly what to say instead. Despite this, I press on. Heh, heh.
          Unfortunately once I find one that is so wonderful and perfect that I can't wait to use it..... I find I never have a chance to. I don't know why. It just seems to be my luck. I rarely have the chance to go hog wild and blurt out one of those bad babies! Heh, heh. One day. That's what I keep telling myself. One day.
          I believe I should just start saying them to myself while I am cleaning, shopping, cooking and the like. I've already started with 'joder' (under my breath of course, heh,heh). I need to get used to saying things like, "Por supuesto," or "En serio?!" and so on. For the moment, I keep studying, and am trying to fit these phrases into my Spanish thoughts (when I have them- which is freakishly often). And all I can say about my slow learning curve, embarrassing expressions, dorky enjoyment of language, and awkwardness here in general.... is: es lo que hay. My new favourite expression!

kimbersfrog




  

No comments:

Post a Comment